Overview of BMLTA
The National Urban Transport Policy (NUTP, 2006) has recommended setting up of unified Urban Transport Authorities (UMTAs) in million plus cities. The NUTP (2006) insist that UMTA should facilitate more co-ordinated planning and implementation of urban transport programmes & projects and integrated management of urban transport systems. The Central Government also encourages setting up of professional bodies that have the capacity to make scientific assessment of demand on various routes and contract services that can be properly monitored. It further encourages the setting up of umbrella bodies that regulate the overall performance of the public transport systems and ensure that the city has a comprehensive public transport system.
BMLTA was created vide Government Order No. UDD 134 BMR 2006 (2) Bangalore 09.03.2007 with the following functions:
- To co-ordinate all land transport matters in the BMR.
- To prepare detailed Master Plan for Transport Infrastructure based on the comprehensive Traffic and Transport Study for Bangalore.
- To oversee implementation of all transportation projects.
- To appraise and recommend transportation and infrastructure projects for bilateral / bilateral Central assistance.
- To function as empowered Committee for all Urban Transportation Projects.
- To initiate action for a regulatory framework for all land transport systems in BMR.
- To initiates steps, where feasible for common ticketing system.
- Take any other decision for the integrated urban transport and land use planning and Implementation of the projects.
Mohammed Mohsin, IAS, Member Convener - BMLTA & Director - DULT invites opinion from general public on Draft Bangalore Metropolitan Land Transport Authority Act. It is also proposed to organize a meeting with general public on the draft act published below on 20th February 2010. Venue and time will be indicated later.
Interested participants can send in their request to email@example.com along with comments if any on the draft act before 10th February 2010.