Non-Motorised TransportNon-Motorised Transport (NMT) also called active transport and human powered transport; includes walking, cycling, and variants such as wheelchair travel, skating and handcarts. NMT is an important part of the urban mobility in cities; however NMT has often been ignored in planning transport systems.
With a motive to encourage sustainable transport in cities in Karnataka, Directorate of Urban Land Transport (DULT) has initiated several measures/actions mentioned below:
- Policy Framework: Guidelines such as the Pedestrian design guidelines and the Road safety tool kit has been detailed out on 3’S elements (i.e., Specifications, safety and security) and circulated to all stakeholders. Some of the ongoing policy frame works includes the development Bicycle Master Plans as well as Open Street Policy.
- Detailed Project Report & Handholding: The directorate has developed detailed studies on project such as Public Bicycle Sharing System in Bangalore and Mysore and is gearing up for implementation of the same with the association of local city authorities. DULT has also taken up the task of implementing the NMT proposals recommended in the CMP and CTTP reports of various cities.
- Capacity Building & Community Engagement: In order to promote NMT and develop awareness among people to use NMT, DULT has been doing campaign called “Feel Bengaluru Cycle Day” is organized on the all Sundays of every month. This has been conceptualized to make cycling more popular by building an enthusiastic mass of cyclists and reclaiming the streets of neighbourhoods in Bangalore city. In addition, capacity building workshops have been planned and organized on planning, designing and implementing cycling infrastructure in cities/towns.
- Malleswaram Accessibility Plan ( website: http://yourmap.in/)
- Improvements to NMT infrastructure around MG Road
- Pedestrianisation of Gandhi bazaar & Madivala Market area
- Public Bicycle Sharing (PBS) Scheme-Bangalore, Mysore and Cubbon Park
- Non Motorized Transport (NMT) facilities in the neighborhood of RT Nagar, RMV II Stage, Indiranagar and Koramangala, HSR Layout and Yelahanka
- Non Motorized Traffic (NMT) facility at proposed Mysore Public Bicycle Sharing (PBS) station
- Feasibility study for cycling track in the vicinity of Madivala lake
- NMT infrastructure for Gouribidanoor
- NMT feasibility plan for Rajajajeswari Nagar
- Neighbourhood improvement plan for Sanjaynagar
- Public Bicycle Sharing (PBS) pilot at industry clusters as last mile cconnectivity from metro stations.
- Last Mile conectivity between RMZ Infinty and Swami Vivekananda metro station
- Accessibility plan for Tiptur
- NMT infrastructure development at Hubli Dharwad
- Bicycle masterplan for Bangalore